Sunday, February 10, 2013

DJ Jazzy Jeff Is Still Relevant

The Man Behind The Curtain

Ok, so Will Smith has made his way through the entertainment world, winning Oscar after Oscar while his former right hand man, (and in my opinion made his career by being one of the best old school DJ's of all time) has somewhat faded into the background.

He has released a few albums, made a few appearances (usually with Will) but has otherwise remained fairly underground. When I came across this video of him messing around with Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and an X1 I was floored by how smooth his technique still is and how relevant and important to my/our culture he was and always will be.


Yeah, "Parents Just Don't Understand" and "Nightmare On My Street" were great hits and I still pull them from the crates but it makes me wish people would remember the days when all we had were 2 Tech 12's, a mixer and a mic. That was if we were lucky enough to be able to have our own set and not have to share someone else's! Patience isn't one of my strong suits....Jeff was always behind the decks, cutting like a master chef and his song selection is nothing short of surreal. Just watching this video you can see the expression of joy his face when he seamlessly moves from "Candy Girl" into "Eye of The Tiger" then "Mamma Said Knock You Out" and eventually into "Play That Funky Music White Boy" and "I've Got The Power" .... All without headphones! I would love to see one of our current Tier 1 DJ's pull off the same feat. Not some pre-planned set, just what you felt. Like it should be.

I have had to play a set without headphones before and I had to hold my ear to the needle just to hear the highs to be able to match up the next track! I wasn't even cutting, scratching or anything; just trying not to train wreck!

He cuts, dices, juggles and is a creative genius. I guess I wish he just got a little more credit for his ongoing contributions of what defines a DJ.

That.Is.All.



No comments:

Post a Comment